AA1 Match Report v Waverley (15/05/11)

Barnstoneworth United 2 – 1 Waverley Old Boys

A hot and sunny day brought an expectant Barnstoneworth crowd to Paine Reserve for the visit of bottom placed Waverley Old Boys. Barnstoneworth started brightly and were piling the pressure on the Waverley defence early on. Richie Borwell had the ball in the back of the net, after some good work from Batstone and Chris, but the goal was ruled out for offside. Richie was putting himself about the pitch and was involved in another attack, when a neat one 2 with the spritely Michael Passey saw the centre midfielders effort well saved by the keeper. Passey was getting more and more into the game and a great cross from the right fell to the feet of Richie at the far post. With the net open in front of him, and the fans ready to cheer the first goal, Borwell blasted his effort over the bar in what can only be described as ‘doing a Bren’.

Barnstoneworth were pressing and came close with a superb effort from Paddy ‘I can play anywhere on the pitch’ Kelly. After the ball was cleared by the Waverley defence from a Barnstoneworth corner, the ball was bouncing perfectly to the nimble Paddy Kelly who made the run from his half way line. With everyone on the pitch anticipating a wild effort from the Irish utility player, he hit his shot powerfully, from all of 40 yards, on the half volley. With gasps from the crowd, the shot cracked the upright and rebounded of the keeper for a corner – so close.

GOAL Waverley – their first attack of the game, Waverley took a corner which was half cleared by the defence and the Waverley player hitting a neat shot past the diving Mikey into the corner of the net.

Barnstoneworth finished the half strongly but still couldn’t find a way past the Waverley keeper.

THE SECOND HALF started as much as the first with Barnstoneworth pressing for an equaliser. Sinbad’s dangerous long throw was causing all sorts of trouble in the box, with the ball always bouncing kindly for the away teams’ defence.

GOAL Barnstoneworth – a corner whipped in from the right hand side by Chris was met with a powerful header from Andy Batstone, giving the keeper no chance and a deserved equaliser.

Barnstoneworth now had the taste of goals and Eddie made a couple of changes, bringing Passey back on to the right, moving Birchy on to the left and bringing Conesy into the middle.

GOAL Barnstoneworth – the changes paid off with Conesy feeding Passey down the right. There was a race to the ball between Barnstoneworth’s winger and the keeper, with Passey coming out on top and hitting a shot towards the open goal. The Waverley defence cleared the ball but only as far as their right back who held on to it longer than he should. Birchall came from no where to steal the ball and, with the keeper still out of his net, hit a looped effort towards goal from all of 30 yards. It all seemed to happen in slow motion – players watching, crowd on the edge of their seats and the ball finally dropping below the bar, greeted with cheers from the Barnstoneworth faithful.

With only 5 minutes remaining, Barnstoneworth soaked up some late pressure, Mikey making a few good saves and the defence doing well, but Barnstoneworth held on for a hard earned victory.

Man of the match: Sinbad – covered most of the pitch and was involved in most of the attacks.