AA2 Match Report v Waverley (25/07/10)

I have the honour and privilege of writing a match report for the first ever AA2 game held under floodlights (well for at least 2 seasons).

We assembled at Sydney Uni’s ground for the 7.30 Wednesday night kick off. I was late arriving as the nitro in my car needs refuelling so I missed the pre match toolshed banter and enthusiastic stretching.

The game gets underway.

The first half was a cagey affair. We gave away a few needless free kicks on the edge of the box, some people were struggling to get to grips with playing under lights and could neither see man nor ball when lunging into tackles (Potter). Waverly produced a great free-kick which cannoned off the crossbar although our keeper had it well covered.

Good work from Adam and John down the right meant that Ben and Barry earned us a few corners. Good delivery from Garnsey led to a mad scramble in the box which should have led to the opener but it was eventually cleared by Waverly.

One sour note from the first half was Dan hobbling off after hearing “something snap” in his ankle.

Halftime arrives.

The gaffer tells us to be a bit more composed in the final third or this game has 0-0 written all over it………………..

2nd Half

We started the second half with a bit more urgency. Much better going forward and even spraying the ball around defence until a stray pass from Dene (first of the season) was intercepted by a Waverly forward leaving Sean 1v1 but he managed to stand up well (that’s what she said) and we were eventually awarded a free out.

Ball gets launched down the far end, Adam plays the ball into Birchy (god he looks good under lights), Birchy to Abdul, Abdul to Baker, Baker slots the ball home wrong footing the keeper. Deadlock is broken, 1-0 to the reds.

Waverly produce a great chance to equalise, header from a corner which is cleared off the line by Baker. A wake up call for Barnstoneworth.


Garnsey long throw to John, who plays a good cross into the near post which Adam attacks (without fouling for once) causing a mix up between the defender and the keeper and the ball finds its way to Baker at the far post. He uses his trusty big toe from 2 yards to double our lead.


Long through ball down the right to Adam, who cuts into the box and delivers a pinpoint cross to Baker who volleys convincingly into the bottom right hand corner. Cue wild hat-trick celebrations from Baker and his new white boots. As ever encouraging words from the sideline, “score another type of goal”.


Another corner from Garnsey, headed down to John who’s effort is blocked only for Birchy the Gorgeous to rifle it home.

John runs onto a good true ball, shouts of “time” and “shoot” come from his teammates, John is unsurprisingly confused and opts to blaze the ball wide from 30 yards. Communication lads!


Through ball from Baker to Abdul who unleashes a thunderous strike, the keeper gets two hands on it but the shot carries enough venom and the ball settles in the back of the net.

The game fizzles out and the ref sporting a great new haircut eventually blows the final whistle. 5 goals and a clean sheet, to the pub!

Man of the match goes to Baker with a stunning second half performance, 3 goals and an assist. Final word on his performance goes to our Scouse manager, Baker is a player who “gets around well for a larger type of bloke”.

4 Games left and we can still win it! Common!!!

Written by,

The Cat Fagan

MoM – Baker