Match Report AA2 v Waverley (09/08/10)

Match report Barnstoneworth United AA2v Waverley United AA2 Sunday 8th August
Venue: Paine Reserve
K.O: 1pm
Squad: Brian, Chris, Dene, Potter, Garnsey, Jonesey, Neil, John, Macka, Adam, Abdul, Ben, Dan, Ian and Sean.
Formation: 3-5-2
Final Score: 3-0
Scorers: Ben x 2, Macka

The previous weekend had seen an 11 man squad play a disappointing 1-1 draw with top of the table Coogee. This week nothing short of a win against Waverley would do if we were to help cement our place in the top 4 for the Grand finals.

With two wins from our final two games and a previous 5-0 thrashing of Waverley just a few games previous, confidence was high with our full squad out for possibly only the second time this season. Barnstoneworth seem to play better when their backs are against the wall and this was no exception, especially when one of the players decided to bring onto the pitch some gay porno playing cards, something left over from the previous nights fun and games no doubt!

As usual the preparation for the game did not go to plan, 12pm meet to get ready and put up the nets, only to have the whole squad there for 12-30pm! With a couple of players coming back from injury and Brian and Dene, (stiffer than a Barnstoneworth player browsing the porno section of the Tool Shed) playing after running the city to surf, the squad suddenly did not look as strong!

The game started off a little scrappy with neither team able to string together a few passes on the dust bowl, we know as paine reserve. Hints of Wimbeldon and the crazy gang in the first few minutes, with too many long balls, but Barnstoneworth winning most of the 50-50 balls and putting Waverley under lots of pressure when not in possession.

A frustrating first 20 mins with the referee giving many decisions in favour of Waverley and the threat of a yellow card to a moaning Dene, who had taken the mantle of scouse moaner for today’s game with Sean on the side lines, but no throwing of the ball away in a paddy helped him avoid a yellow card.
We could have easily been a goal down if it had not been for a great save from Brian early on, justifying why he gets paid the big bucks of a 6 pack of Becks every Saturday night, to keep up his cat like reactions.

Free Kick on the edge of the box, Ben steps up to take the kick, (total confidence in Ben from everyone, comments at the end of the game were, he will blast it over the top, into the wall) sweetly struck under the jumping wall, bottom corner, 1-0 and a moment which released some of the pressure from Barnstoneworth.
This galvanised Barnstoneworth and our confidence began to build. With about 15 mins remaining in the half Macka came on for Garnsey at left wing back, making an impact with GOAL number 2.
Ben and Abdul who had been very lively all game so far, combining well and an early cross into the box saw Macka arriving at the back post heading off the bar and in, 2-0 Barnstoneworth and things were starting to look more positive.

Then tragedy hit, reminiscent of the D.C sniper attacks that killed a number of innocent civilians, struck Barnstoneworth with the first victim Neil, being struck down with a shot to the calf, hobbling off with just a couple of minutes left of the half, replaced by Ian, but the sniper was still out there watching and waiting for his next victim!

Half time saw the usual motivational speech we have come to love from the gaffa, “Our passing is woeful, we cannot string more than two passes together, awful” Well it seemed to have the right effect as Barnstoneworth came out in the second half playing much more of a passing game and taking control. The defence looking solid with plenty of strong tackles, not allowing their forwards any time on the ball. The midfield and forwards seemed to be putting the Waverley defence under constant attack and pressure, once again winning a free kick on the edge of the area.

A well worked free-kick with Ian touching the ball off to the side and Ben driving the ball around the wall and low into the corner, 3-0 and Barnstoneworth were cruising once again.

Then minutes later the sniper hit once again to take out Ian, who was only just back from injury to be replaced by Dan in the middle. Where was this maniac sniper hiding who was going to be shot next!
Dan was to be the next victim of the sniper, but a tricky unconventional step over in midfield, that fooled the opposition, Dan and the sniper, allowed Dan to make it through to the end of the game.

On another day Barnstoneworth could have had 6 or 7 goals with chances falling to Macka, John and Adam all to be driven over or wide. On a positive note we created many chances and did enough for a comfortable win in the end and with one game to go against Coogee on our day we are still the best team in the league.
With notable performances from Ben and Abdul upfront, some tireless running from John and Jonesy in midfield and solid defending from Potter and Chris, there were many positives to take from the game.
Bring on Coogee and the Grand Final play offs.


MoM – Ben Grant