Match Report AA4 v Syd Uni 15/07/12

After a good 3-2 vs QPR on Saturday, it was time for round two of the double header vs Sydney Uni and 3 more points were vital. The starting line up. Chris in nets (fair dues with a dislocated finger), the 3 rocks at the back, Anders, Joe and Richie. The 4 in the middle were Al, Dan, Gav and Fergal. Up front was Wes, Nick and Brendan.

In the gaffer’s pre game team talk he mentioned we had Nick back, so there’d be no problem with scoring goals, no pressure there! Al took and early bath due to a dodgy hammy, and Gaz replaced him, looking a lot ‘healthier’ than he did the day before. The whole team started great, passing it around with ease. With the constant pressure, it was no shock when the Barney boys took an early 1-0 lead. With pressure we got a corner , swung in by Dan it went long to the opposite flank were Gaz was lurking, he curled in a pearler right onto the barnet of the ginger giant. There was still a lot for Joe to do, but he gracefully fired the header into the corner and past the balding Uni keeper.

It wasn’t long before it was 2-0. Great battling from Gav and Fergal in the middle created a loose ball on the edge of the Uni’s box and Wes got his famous left peg on the end of it. A funny bounce saw the balding keeper make an absolute mare of it and it found the back of the net.

It didn’t seem like anything could go wrong for the Barney boys on this sunny winter day. An onslaught of pressure continued with Brendan being put through by Gav, Nick screamed for him to square it as he was completely unmarked in the six yard box. A great nip back from Bren saw the balding Uni keeper hit the ground. Nick had an open goal to aim at to put Barnstoneworth 3 up before the break. Surely he couldn’t miss? He did, he scuffed his shot along the ground and struck the post. Looked like Nick had left his shooting boots in Vegas.

On the verge of half time Nick (who it must be said, seemed like he may have enjoyed a few too many burgers while away) re-deemed himself. A quick throw in from Fergal, saw Nick turn, and hit it with his right peg from 25 yards out. A curling shot found its way over the baldy head of the Uni keeper and Barnstoneworth were 3 up at the break.

The gaffers team talk was one of praise. More of the same was echoed throughout the ranks.

The second half was nothing like the first. The whole team looked to feeling the effects of the double header. We held it together nicely for the majority of the second half, but it certainly wasn’t pretty.

Halfway through the second half the gaffer introduced Tony to inject some pace. He created a couple of great chances for Brendan. Was it time for him to break his duck for Barnstoneworth? nope. Maybe next week? With about twenty minutes left Tony made a puzzling run and cut through the Uni back line. With Uni coming back into the game more and more, making it 4-0 would write off any possibility of a heroic comeback. He nudged the ball past the baldy keeper, and was clean through, when all of a sudden he was chopped down. Surely a penalty? No word from the ref and it was play on. The ball scrambled towards Wes, who looked to add to his tally. In a 50/50 with on of the Uni defenders, Wes hit the deck theatrically. More shouts for a penalty, but no good.

It was nearly a nightmare ending for the Barney boys, as Uni grabbed two very late goals. One of which was scored by a blonde haired girl? Strange I know. But Barnstoneworth managed to hold on for a vital 3 points. A lot of positives to take from the game with the grand final looming.