AA4 v Dunbar 09/06/13

BUFC 3 – 3 Dunbar Rovers at Paine Reserve on Sunday 9th June 2013 (3pm kick-off).

After a weeks rest due to some wet weather, the Barney boys were back in action at the house of Paine. We all felt a bit robbed getting beaten 3-2 by Dunbar in the first game of the season, so we were out for revenge.

Despite a rake load of injuries and players away on international duty spirits were high. Wynton named a team of Billy in goal, big Petch, bigger Joe and older Chris at the back. Smaller Joe in a holding role behind the lads in the middle. Brendan ‘legend of beers’ Phelan and Ryan Gosling in the centre andWes and Matt on each wing. And finally, Johnny Rhodes and Nick up front.

As per usual we started slow and Dunbar piled the pressure on. A couple of quick one two’s and they found a gap, nicely finished and we were 1-0 down. The next ten minutes was more of the same. A cross from the left into our box saw a few lads jumping for the same ball. As they landed the ref pointed to the spot. We were all shocked but there was no arguing with this ref’s moustache. The pen was slotted down the middle and things were not looking good for us. A few changes from the gaffer bringing on Fergal and Al Dowzler in the middle. They really changed the game, winning everything in the middle and looking to get forward at any opportunity. With just ten minutes left before the break a goal was vital. Some good build up play between Brendan and Al saw a ball reach Nick at the back post, he controlled it (sort of) and swung in a looping cross, it found the iron head of Fergs and was pounded home. 2-1 at the break and we were right back in it.

Some serious, but positive words in the dressing room from the Gaffer had us feeling confident we could salvage something out of this game. We came out by far the better team, with Brendan and Barry doing great work down each wing. Surely a goal was on the cards? Nopeeeee, the unthinkable happened, a long hoof from Dunbars keeper saw a flick on to their striker who was almost certainly offside? Not given and he slotted it home. A tough blow to take completely against the run of play. Heads did not drop, it was time to show some heart. Some great work from smaller Joe in the holding role released the ball to Brendan on the right wing, he cruised by the left back with his Bolt like pace. He got to the byline, where the ball most CERTAINLY stayed in bounds and squared a great ball to Nick. A little flick with his right foot and it just edged its way past the keeper. Game on.

The pressure continued with a long ball over the top to Wes who’d made a great run. A slick touch and it looked like it was gonna be all level, but the keeper came flying off his line and somehow denied us the equalizer. The pressure did not relent, some nice link up play from Barry and Nick up the left saw a ball drop to Brendan ‘king of beers’ Phelan just outside the area. He caught it on the half volley with the outside of his gleaming white boot. It soared over the the keeper and dipped nicely into the top corner. Brendan looked in complete shock at what he’d just done. Certainly a contender for Goal of the season.


With ten minutes on the clock we pushed for a winner. El Capitan, Nick went off on one of his mazy adventures taking the ball around several Dunbar players. He’d done all the hard work as he approached the box. Options left and right, or try be Bertie Big Bollox and smash it himself? He did neither and practically fell over the ball. Top notch stuff under the pressure.

With minutes left there was time for one last chance. A ball launched into the Dunbar box saw some serious flapping from their always mouthy keeper. It dropped to Brendan, he hit it perfectly and it beat the keeper, the first defender, but a last ditch diving attempt saw it cleared inches from the goal line.

3-3 it finished and a serious amount of heart shown by the Barney boys.

Man of the match: Dunbar’s goalie for being great entertainment value.

Next best: All the boys for showing the heart that we’ll need if we’re going to push for the playoffs this year.

Comic highlight of the match: Dunbar’s keeper throughout with his hissy fit at Brendan’s build-up to Nick’s goal continuing long after the final whistle (not helped by Johnny Rhodes continuing to goad him as he walked off the pitch).

Nick Heather