AA8 v Maroubra 19/05/13

Maroubra United 0 vs Barnstoneworth United FC 4 – Sunday 19th May

Sunday arrived and next up Maroubra beckoned with the need for BUFC to get back on track. Team talk before the game focused on enjoying our football again and putting in a disciplined display. The lads had taken on board what Billy and Mark said before the game with a ruthless display, we also welcomed ‘Bruiser’ back from 4 weeks of bird time for his last two tackles in a Barnstoneworth shirt, he said he had done his time and was repentant for the pain he has caused to others so far this season.

The game started well enough, plenty of BUFC possession and an early free kick 25 yards from goal eventually found its way to Liam who smashed the ball at the goal, it hit a toe from Niall from 6 yards and deflected into the back of the net, Liam said it was going in any way but Niall claimed it. 1-0. We stamped our authority on this game and a couple of changes came midway through the first half which saw Junior on for Numpty on the left and Danny on for Anto on the right, the opposition looked nervous, this double substitution sealed their fate, within two minutes Junior missed a sitter from two yards, but the telling pass came from Danny on the right, a sublime ball into the path of Andy, who jinked inside, beat his man and bundled the ball into the opposite corner of the net that he intended to put the ball. 2-0.

Maroubra battled hard, they nearly found their way back in to the game with a couple of half chances on the break but nothing that worried the back four too much, the lads at the back had things under control.

The second half saw another change with Daz moving over to right back. In search of the goal that would surely now win the game, BUFC came out all guns blazing, strong in the tackle at the back and in midfield and there were some good attacks going forward. Bruiser came on to the pitch and commanded the middle of defence. The midfield interchanging trio of Liam, Darren and Gav all having strong performances. The third goal came when we reverted to Danny up front, Numpty and Gav with some neat interplay down the left, fed the ball into Andy who swung the ball across the six yard box for Danny to beat defender and keeper to the ball and guide the ball home. 3-0.

In search of the fourth goal Danny chased a ball down in the box only for Sloth in goal to turn around to the unsuspecting striker and put him in a sleeper manoeuvre and wrestle him to the ground whispering sweet nothing’s into his ear, Danny was seen tapping out on the ground and hoping for some support, or a tag team member to jump in, none of which happened and both striker and goalkeeper were duly booked, exchanged phone numbers and carried on with the game – bizarre.

The game was finally wrapped up by Andy in the last few minutes of the game for his second goal, a break away in midfield and a simple tap in when one on one with keeper. 4-0.

All in all a great response from the lads after the disappointment of the week before and this was a brilliant ‘team’ effort, spirited with every player putting in a good shift, and in truth there could have been more goals on the day.