Back to back wins for Barnstoneworth AA2

Barnstoneworth United AA2 v Mascot Kings

mascot kings.png

Barnstoneworth United welcomed Mascot Kings to the House of Paine with expectations high after an excellent 3-0 win away at Dunbar Rovers last Sunday. Mascot Kings have started the season well with 2 wins from 3 so Nick and Billy were keen to remind the players that they would have to match last weeks performance to get the win. Club hard man Ben Wardle was feeling the affects of a big Saturday night actually fell asleep during the pre match team talk whilst doing his stretching! The home side started with the 4-5-1 formation that had worked well the last couple of weeks and there was a few changes in the starting 11 with Gaffo replacing Andy in goal, and Ross, Johnny and new signing Ian all starting in the midfield.

Both teams started in a positive manner with a chances at both ends in the opening minutes but neither team really tested the goalkeepers until the deadlock was broken on the 30 minute mark. The Barstoneworth midfield pressing game was working very well and left winger Ross won the ball on the hallway line and played the ball inside to Jay who played a lovely through ball to Stu who managed to out muscle to the two centre halves before cooling slotting home in to the bottom corner! The home side were full of confidence after taking the lead and managed to get a second 5 minutes later. Stone cold Steve Wheelo skipped past the Mascot left back and played a lovely ball into who Stu who took the ball down and got a decent shot away which the goalie saved well down to his right but Ross had made an excellent run in to the box and and had an easy tap in to make it 2-0. Mascot pushed forward to try and get a goal back before halftime but couldn't find a way passed the Kevin The Cat Gaffney. Despite skipper Ryan Matthews doing his best to give the Mascot striker a gift of an assist with a suicidal ball across his own penalty box they couldn't convert the chance and Barstoneworth went in to the break with a well earned 2 goal lead.

The usual half time team talk place in the changing rooms with Billy letting the boys know in no uncertain terms that we must do better in possession and stop turning over the ball so cheaply or Mascot would find a way back in to the match. Paul obviously wasn't listening to Billy and with his first 3 “passes” of the second half he managed to kick the ball straight of the park! Ben Wardle had been introduced at half time to freshen up the centre midfield and managed a 6 minute spell in there without even getting a touch of the ball before being stretchered off with a suspected heart attack. Barstoneworth knew a third goal would kill the game off and were pushing forward in search of it. Another quality through ball from playmaker Jay who managed to cover every blade of grass... in the centre circle found Stu who chipped the goalie only to see the ball clip the underside of the cross bar and get cleared by the full back. That was Stu and Jay’s last involvement before being subbed for Barney’s answer to The Mitchell Brothers with Niall and Nick being introduced with 20 minutes left to play. Mascot were pushing Barstoneworth further and further back in search of goal as the game went on but just couldn't get the better of Gaffo and the home side saw the game out and managed their third clean sheet on the bounce. Billy was so pleased with result that at full time he asked club bus driver Charlie if he could book his open top bus for a trophy parade for the end of the season such is his belief in his newly assembled squad!