Barnstoneworth United AA2 v Waverley Old Boys


So a new season is upon us full off new expectations, hopes, dreams, players and a new coach in the form of Barnstonewworth legend Nick Keiran. If he is half as good at coaching as he has been at bossing center midfield for decades he will go a long way. Also, a quick welcome to the few new boys Ryan, Stevie and Moussa it’s a pleasure to have you on board for the season.

On to the match, and everybody turned up on time looking pretty fresh. The exception being Ben Wardle who was having trouble locating his car in Bondi Junction after what he described as a quiet night home in his track bottoms. This obviously consisted of Ben drinking copious amounts of alcohol, probably best to leave the car at home next time Ben.

So Nick picked the team and went with the 3-5-2 formation. We started off a bit shaky in the first 20 minutes slowly finding our feet as we were opened up by our younger and fitter opponents. Sadly we conceded an early goal but this would only spur the lads on to get stuck in and raise their effort, which they duly did. New boy Ryan was getting on the ball and taking control of the midfield with some great skill and great energy. At the back we seemed to be getting to grips with their attackers with the rock that is Sam ‘Maldini’ Palmer dictating things from behind, just how he likes it on a Saturday night. The score remained 1-0 to Waverley Old Boys.

As the first half went on the mighty Barnie were getting on top and as the boys continued to push forward we were looking more and more dangerous. We managed to force a corner off the back of a good passing move giving Dave Sleight the chance to whip in a cross for the lads to attack. The delivery caused Waverley all sorts of problems and after a scramble with their keeper Sam got the ball to drop kindly to our main striker, Big Stu Mackay, who couldn’t believe his luck and calmly slotted the ball into the net to make it 1-1, no more than we deserved. Barnie battled well for the remainder off the first half getting on top and pushing for a second.

After the break the boys were feeling confident off pushing on and getting a winner. We started off well, and with Steve coming on in midfield, making an instant impact, everybody was pushing hard to get the winner. Dave Sleight was putting in a huge shift covering every blade off fake grass there was and the mighty Daz pulled off his customary world class saves to keep us in the hunt. A few more changes were made hoping to inject some fresh legs as the huge pitch was finally taking its toll on some of our boys. I (Duck) came on; getting a customary 15 minute stint and new boy Moussa was brought on to add a bit of pace to the side.

With 15 mins to go Waverley won a corner which was whipped in to the near post. Although I (Duck) should of comfortably dealt with the cross I didn't, assuming that Sam Palmer would be able to get his head on it and clear the danger. Sam did manage to get something on it but reverted to his old striker instincts and buried the ball past Daz making it 2-1 Waverley. This was hugely disappointing but the boys didn't drop their heads and continued to fight to the last minute trying to get the draw we clearly deserved. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and the game finished 2-1.

Considering this was the same Waverley team that thumped us 7-1 and 5-1 last season, to just scrape in with a 2-1 win shows the improvement that's formed in the team this year. I firmly believe that we will come good next Sunday at the home of football the fortress that is the house of pain, so keep the heads up and we go again.