Barnstoneworth AA2 v Maccabi Hakoah B

After a long three week break the Barny boys were all fired up and looking for their first win of the season. The excitement must have taken its toll on Wynton as he was knocking out the zzzz’s pitch side prior to the warm up! It was a beauty of an afternoon in Centennial park where we were to face off against the Maccabi seconds. Our team looked strong and with a bench full of talent and experience there were high hopes for a good result. Nick stuck with the new 3-5-2 formation which worked well in the previous game.

The starting 11

         Ben - Sam P - Ryan M
Gerry - Stevey -  Paul - Damo
                Shaun - Stu


I think it’s fair to say we didn’t get off to the best start and struggled to keep hold of the ball in the first 30 minutes and we were lucky to be only 1-0 down. Daz mad a couple of great saves to keep Barny in the match and soon after conceding Eddie made a few changes and introduced “little Ryan” and Duck to the middle of the park.

With the new additions Barny seemed to be more in the game with Duck playing ball to feet and Ryan making an excellent target man holding the ball up well. In the final 10 minutes of the half Barny finally started to get into the game and things looked promising for the second half. We went in 1-0 down at half time but still well and truly in the game.

A few half-time changes and the mighty BUFC came out fighting and had a much more positive start to the second half. A nice move down the right created a good chance for big Stu but unfortunately, he couldn’t keep the ball down. Maccabi still looked dangerous on the attack but Daz was in fine form keeping them at bay. However, there was little he could do about the eventual second goal, a speculative shot from distance took a huge deflection of Wynton and wrong footed the keeper. 2-0 Maccabi.

As ever the Barny lads showed true grit and determination refusing give up. Some slick passing between Ryan, Duck and Mousa on the right flank managed to unlock the Maccabi defence. Sparky crossed the ball to the front post which was met by the right foot of Paul who rifled it into the back of the net. 2-1, game on! Barny looked like a new team after the goal and began playing more expansive football which at times did leave us venerable at the back.

Just as it looked like the tide was turning in Barny's favour Maccabi got a third. A cross came in from the right and no one was in the middle to get the ball clear. The ball traveled across the Barnstoneworth goal line and a Maccabi striker was able to poke it home at the back post for 3-1. This pretty much sealed the win for Maccabi. Niall went close with 30-yard rocket which was well saved by the Maccabi keeper. Full time 3-1.

Despite the loss there were a few positives to take away from the game and there was certainly no lack of desire or effort from any of the lads. Let’s go again Sunday and get the result we deserve.