Barnstoneworth United AA1's v Dunbar Blue

Yet another mid-week fixture for Barnstoneworth United AA1’s, making this their fifth fixture in the space of 14 days. We all got down to Alexandria Park for the 8pm kick off and after putting the nets up completing a quick warm up, under some questionable flood lighting, Simba was ready to announce the team.

It was a similar feel to the back five, with Gordo in goal, Boot and Andy at full back and the two Joe’s in the middle. With Chris Moore still injured we went with Danny and Alec out wide and the usual suspects of Merv and Dave.S in the middle. Sam and Tom started upfront. Subs: Dave.T, Dave Sleight, Baldy Nick, Simba.

We immediately started to apply pressure all over the pitch, not giving Dunbar any time to play football. The early signs were good and with Tom winning everything in the air it looked only a matter of time before Barnstoneworth made the break through. Sam got on the end of one of Tom’s flicks but was unable to find the target with his shot. Despite the early pressure it was still goalless and Dunbar were looking dangerous from set pieces and crosses into box. The bad light in the Barnie box was causing issues and a goal mouth scramble eventually resulted in Gordon diving on the ball on the goal line.

After this scare Barnie continued to push forward and a shot from distance by Merv was tipped over the bar and Alec came close from scoring direct from the corner. It wasn’t long until the pressure finally paid off as Sam was played through one on one again, this time making no mistake lobbing the keeper from outside the box. 1-0 BUFC.

The goal didn’t affect Dunbar though as they continued to fire balls into Barnie’s area, trying to capitalise on the difficult conditions. One of these crosses was cleared in the 6 yard box by Iain Boot but the referee bizarrely gave an indirect free kick for a high foot. Dunbar took too long to get the shot away from the free kick and the ball was charged down and blocked by 11 players in red and white. Dunbar kept up the pressure and eventually got an equaliser after some sloppy defending from Barnstoneworth. Dunbar intercepted a pass on the edge of the box and put in a good cross to the penalty box, Joe Peters and the striker both went for it and it ended up in the top corner off the back of Joe’s head. 1-1.

The game was quite open and Dunbar continued to look dangerous from set plays and long throws into the Barnie box. However, Alec and Danny were getting plenty of joy down the wings and eventually, after a great bit of skill by Alec, one of our crosses found Toms head. The initial header was saved by the goalkeeper but Tom was at hand to prod home the rebound. 2-1 BUFC. This goal came after a good Dunbar spell, leaving them a little deflated.

A third goal came shortly before half time for Barnstoneworth when Joe Peters intercepted the ball on the half way line and ran at the Dunbar defence. After an attempted one-two with Sam Joe got the ball stuck under his feet but was just able to lay it back to Sam who picked out the bottom corner from the edge of the box. 3-1 BUFC.

Half Time.

There were no changes at half time but the words from the sidelines really struck home as we came out all guns blazing and applied the pressure from the off. Constant waves of attacks on the Dunbar defence with our forwards Sam Binks and Thomas Laing both coming close with several efforts before the away sides lead was finally extended. A deep cross from a Barnie free kick found big Tom at the back post to head past the helpless Dunbar goalkeeper to double his tally for the game. 4-1 BUFC.

Minutes later Joe Peters again picked the ball up on the half way line and with a drop of the shoulder and a few Cruyff turns found himself on the edge of the box. Another one-two with Sam resulted in Peters being being chopped down inside the area and awarded a penalty. Tom Laing stepped up and scored his third of the game and his 13th in 6 games. Take note Walshy. 5-1 BUFC.

Soon after, the returning Danny Owen managed to use his huge 4ft fuck all frame to out jump the centre backs and score another header for Barnstoneworth and extend our lead. The dream was alive as the sound of free beer was starting to become a reality…6-1 BUFC.

This Dunbar team tried and tried to get themselves back into the game and were nearly rewarded with a goal only to be thwarted by an absolutely magnificent save from Gordon between the sticks followed by a correctly called offside to keep the score at 6-1.

With 20 minutes to go along came the changes, with Tom and Danny being replaced by Dave Thompson and Dave 'The Leg Breaker' Sleight as Baldy Nick tried to run onto the pitch forgetting his shin pads, self respect and his dignity. 

The goals kept flowing for Barnie as a well worked piece of play down the right ended with a whipped cross into the box splitting the defence and goalkeeper with Davey Shannon making the perfect run to tap in from 5 yards out. 7-1 BUFC and Eddie was sweating on the sidelines at the thought of paying for the beer on Sunday. 

Sam Binks followed this up with another well taken finish as his goal completed his own hat trick and sent the crowd into meltdown… the legendary 8-1 scoreline was achieved. With still ten minutes to play there was plenty of time for more goals as shouts of get it in the corner could be heard from the sidelines. 

Dunbar had their goalkeeper sent off with 2 minutes to play for handball outside the box, harsh considering the score line. Desperate not to score another goal, Barnie allowed big Dave Thompson to take the freekick and he duly delivered by drilling the ball into the wall. There was a scare in the last minute though as Sam Binks clearly sees the golden boot as more important than free drink at The Coach. A ball came in from the left and Binksy tapped home from six yards out. With Eddie celebrating alone on the sideline Duck can be seen screaming at the lino that the goal was offside. He must have got wind of the free drinks with an 8-1 scoreline because his arm went straight up and the goal was ruled out. 

The disallowed goal was celebrated like a last minute winner in a cup final and the match ended 8-1.


Man of the match: Sam Binks, got his hat-trick in the end and put in a great shift upfront.